Our mission… to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the World…

Fairview United Methodist Church began as the Eighth Street Methodist Episcopal Church in the September of 1895 from a revival held at the College Avenue Methodist M. E. Church (now First United Methodist Church) in Bloomington, Indiana. This revival brought a large number of members from the west side of town. To serve these members, the official church board voted to support another Methodist Church in the area. Thus Fairview became the second Methodist Church in the city. William H. Adams, a local banker and member of College Avenue Methodist Church, donated land at the corner of Eighth and Fairview Streets. Funds were solicited and a frame building, seating 275, was erected at a cost of $2000. The Indiana Conference was petitioned for a minister and Rev. L.M. Grigsby was appointed the first pastor.

The church grew quickly and outgrew the frame building by 1912. In 1913 the church purchased the adjoining lot and began construction of a new building in 1913. The new church face Fairview Street so the name was change to Fairview Methodist Episcopal Church. The new building had a capacity of 1000 people at a cost of $25,000.

On Christmas night in 1921, disaster struck Fairview in the form of a fire that completely gutted the new building. The board of Trustees met the following Monday morning and voted to build a tabernacle. On that same morning, building materials were brought to the site and work began immediately.  Two large, drum stoves and all the labor was donated, so the Tabernacle was built at a cost of $1200 and was declared debt free in just two weeks.

After just two years, two parcels of land were purchased at Sixth and Jackson Streets to be the site of the new Fairview Church.  On May 3, 1925 the new church was dedicated. The sanctuary of the new building was designed to hold 480 people with room for an additional 156 in the balcony. There was also room for an 500 more in the adjoining community room (now Aldersgate Hall) .  By 1926, the membership had grown to 800!

In 1956, the church undertook its last major addition, the Education wing. This was completed in 1957 to house the Sunday School and other youth oriented activities.

There have been various remodeling projects since the Education wing addition. In 1992, the chapel and library were renovated and accessible restroom and elevette to help individuals reach the upper and basement levels was added.